The Bristol Empire Dragon Boat Racing Club is one of the sport’s premier clubs, founded in 2002 originally as a charity crew. We operate out of Saltford, on the south-eastern edge of Bristol, on the River Avon.
We are a small friendly club who mix fun with the business of racing – indeed we are often referred to as the team that is always smiling. We are always on the look out for more participants of all ages and abilities (families also welcome).
If you would like to be part of a successful team please contact us.
Apart from racing and training ourselves, we spend time training most of the charity dragon boat crews that compete in Bristol and Bath.
We also spend a lot of time with the various Scout Groups in and around Bristol giving a lot of them their first experience of being in a Dragon Boat and teaching them the importance of team work, which triumphs over the strong individuals. Hence our “Strength in Working Together” moto.
We paddle hard to raise money for charity when we can, examples being:
- 2006 – paddled a Dragon Boat from London to Bristol in (193 miles against flood water)
- 2007 – paddled 90 miles from Stourport to Bristol with the floodwater
- 2008 – the team took on a triathlon of epic proportions a 90 mile cycle ride, 30 mile walk and 30 mile dragon boat race (two boats)
- 2009 – a few hardy members cycled from John O’Groats to Lands End
- 2010 – three of the team cycled from Bristol to Rome raising funds for Help for the Heroes and Cancer Research
- 2012 – four of the team cycled to Barcelona
- 2013 – four of the team paddled two canoes from Vienna to Budapest on the Danube
- 2014 – 10 of the team paddled the navigable Thames
- 2015/16 – two of the team are cycling around the World
All the challenges were highly eventful but well worth the effort.
For more details about the club you can view our constitution.